Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Why is it so Hard to get the Last Dab out of the Toothpaste Tube?

Okay, I’ll take a step away from Web 2.0 and ecommerce ideas today to talk about toothpaste. As I was brushing my teeth this morning I realized that I was close to being out of toothpaste – why I hadn’t noticed the night before is another discussion – while I began desperately trying to get the last dab of toothpaste out of the tube I began to wonder why the toothpaste companies can’t produce a tube that will allow you to get the last bit of toothpaste? Of course the answer is they can but why don’t they? They leave it up to entrepreneurs to develop the little widgets that do the job for them.

From a marketing standpoint I would think “getting the last dab” would resonate with their customers. Each brand now has 5 or more different types of toothpaste – with baking soda, whitening, mouthwash, etc. – why can’t they modify their packaging to get an edge with the consumer. I would think most single guys wait until the absolute last moment before they buy toiletries why not pitch a new man’s brand with last dab gadgetry? I’d buy it – at the last minute.

No comments: